Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Internet Safety Discussion

For this part of the assignment, I talked with my manager at work. She is a parent of 4 kids (17, 15, 13, and 5 year old). I felt like it was important to talk to her about protecting her kids from the internet because they are at the age where internet is rather prominent in their lives. I talked about the Frontline video that I had seen and discussed things I had learned from the video as well as in class. She had previously heard about cyber bullying but hadn't researched it much since she is always at work. Since my manager is always at work it is hard for her to monitor what her children do or see online. I think the discussion we had was a sobering yet possibly scary discussion. She had mentioned that she was going to change the computer and put it in a more public place so that when she is home, she can see what her children are doing. She said she also planned on putting up more strict parental controls on the computer so her kids were only allowed a specific time limit and can only access certain websites. After our discussion, she planned on trying to open the lines of communication with her children and discuss cyberbullying and how to prevent it. I think the discussion went well. Again, I think I might have scared her a little, but she told me she planned on making changes at home to protect her children.

No comments:

Post a Comment